Debt Shield is more than a company, and our corporate culture demonstrates this fact. It is a group of caring people dedicated to making life better for those in real hardships. In the spirit of our mission, Debt Shield employees engage in a variety of charitable activities. It is our way of giving back to the community.
Every Friday is a casual day at Debt Shield, but with one string attached: employees who choose to wear blue jeans to work are asked to donate towards the company's charitable fund. Each employee may submit a charity of his or her choice as a potential beneficiary and a donation is made to a charity chosen randomly by drawing its name from a hat.
The Denim Fund started in March of 2004. So far, Debt Shield employees collected and donated towards the following charities:
- American Red Cross Hurricane Katrina Fund
- Hospice of Howard County provides end-of-life physical, emotional, and spiritual care for people with terminal illnesses and bereavement support for their families.
Please note: In addition to the monetary contribution, the company participated in the Taste and Auction of Howard County. Employees joined the function as one of only 30 Bon Vivant members and helped the charity raise funds with a goal of reaching $500,000.
- The Parent Place of Maryland - A non-profit family-centered organization. Their sole purpose is to enhance the lives of persons with disabilities.
- The Ulman Cancer Fund for Young Adults - provides support services for young adults diagnosed with cancer.
- The American Red Cross - a humanitarian organization led by volunteers that offers biomedical, blood-donation, disaster and emergency service.
- The World Vision Quake & Tsunami Victims in Asia Fund was setup to provide much needed emergency aid to those suffering from this tragic natural disaster.
- United Way is the human services leader whose mission is to improve people's lives by mobilizing the caring power of our communities.
- Second Chance helps newly released prisoners rejoin society as productive citizens.
- The Jack Russell Terrier Club of America Russell Rescue is a network of JRTCA members dedicated to placing unwanted or abandoned Jack Russell Terriers into permanent homes.
- World Vision provides relief to children and families in need around the world.
For each season, there is a reason to give and Debt Shield employees pool together to purchase items and donate money towards different seasonal giving opportunities.
- A Thanksgiving Family was selected to receive a full Thanksgiving feast with turkey and all the trimmings.
- A Winter Holiday Family was selected to receive gifts and other items keeping with the spirit of the holidays.